Temporary COVID-19 Exemptions
Temporary exemptions listed in these charts are colored red and expire June 30, 2022.
How Can I Be Exempt From Placement Testing?
Not everyone has to take placement tests before registering for courses! You may have documents that qualify you for an exemption in one or all areas of placement tests.
Individuals who have completed their junior year, seniors, and/or graduates of Maryland Public High Schools and present a transcript that verifies a cumulative, unweighted high school GPA of 3.0 or better will be exempt from reading, writing, and mathematics placement testing. This measure does not apply to grades earned in English as a Second or Other Language (ESL/ESOL) courses. This GPA exemption will be valid for five years after the date of the individual’s high school graduation.
To be exempt from the ACCUPLACER placement tests, students would need to have the following scores (Acceptable if within five years from the date the test is taken):
||Evidence-Based Reading & Writing: 480
||Composite/Average score of: 21
Other Exemptions (only one needs to be met in each subject):
(Reading & Writing)
- Earning a 3 or better on the AP English Language & Comp, English Literature Exam;
- Earning a score of 4 or higher on the IB Language A: Literature SL, Language A: Language & Literature SL, Language A: Literature HL or Language A: Language & Literature HL Test;
- Earning a GED English score of 165 or higher;
- Earning a score of 4 or 5 on the English 10 or English 11 PARCC/MCAP test;
- Successful Completion of the FCPS English 12 transition Experience
- Earning a 3 or better on the AP Calculus or Statistics Exam;
- Earning a score of 4 or higher on the IB Mathematical Studies, Mathematics SL, Mathematics HL, or the Further Math Tests
- Earning an A or B in Algebra II or higher in a FCPS high school during the Junior or Senior year;
- Earning a GED Math score of 165 or higher;
- Earning a score of 4 or 5 on the Algebra II PARCC/MCAP test;
- Successful completion of the FCPS Math transition experience
What You Need to Secure Testing Exemptions
To secure placement testing exemptions, incoming students must submit the following to the FCC Welcome Center in Jefferson Hall or via email to email@example.com:
- High School Transcript and previous College Transcripts
- Transfer credits from another institution can fulfill necessary requirements.
- College Entrance Exam Scores from SAT and/or ACT
- Advanced Placement (AP) test scores and International Baccalaureate (IB) test scores
- CLEP, DSST and other credit by examination program scores in college level math, reading, and writing
Frederick Community College prohibits discrimination against any person on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status in its activities, admissions, educational programs, and employment.